By Michele Weisman The NOW Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter, and More Social was written by two social media industry thought leaders, Jay Baer and Amber Naslund. I enjoy reading their respective blogs and tweets. The NOW Revolution is every executive's social media handbook for how to successfully navigate and integrate social media into their business strategy. From the administrative assistant to the C-level executive, The NOW Revolution will benefit all.
Throughout the book, Amber and Jay provide compelling reasons why companies need to integrate social media into their business model. This includes customer service, public relations, marketing, internal communications, and more. Used correctly, social media helps businesses communicate more relevantly and quickly with their customers. Amber and Jay provide the reader with many examples and helpful insights to change a company’s approach with real-time communication and social media. Among the book’s key takeaways:
1. Build a healthy, sustaining culture for your organization. Every employee is a potential marketer, advocate, spokesperson, and brand ambassador. Empower your employees accordingly and allow them to be helpful, no matter where they are on the organizational chart. Social media should be part of your company's culture internally and externally.
2. Customer service is now a marketing issue. Social media has put a spotlight on accountability and therefore demands that companies stand up and own their success and shortcomings equally. Praises and complaints are posted on Facebook, updated on Twitter, and written about on blogs. This is a rich opportunity for business to hear what their customers are saying as well as to set the record straight. It doesn’t matter whether you want to join the conversation. Your customers are already shouting for you or at you.
3. Understand that listening to social media posts is like answering phone calls. If a customer takes the time to voice a complaint, compliment or just stops by to say “hi” – the lack of response is like hanging up the phone. People want information, and they want it directly from you. Determine what your goal is for listening and delegate a team of people to be responsible for frontline listening. Answer all questions and address all customers’ concerns. With everything in social media happening at lightning speed, it’s important to answer quickly.
4. Create an updated protocol for a social media crisis. For example, what if one of your employees was doing gross things to food and posting it on YouTube? What if one of your customers created three music videos about how his guitar was broken by baggage handlers and the airline offered no compensation? Ultimately, your company’s reputation is at stake. The potential for embarrassing proprietary information to spread online like wildfire is more than likely. Customers will no longer to wait for your next polished press release to decide if they like you and your products or services.
5. Make feedback measurements part of the culture. Determine your key objectives. Do you want to create awareness, drive sales or build brand loyalty? Identify key performance indicators and share results across the company.
Bonus: The NOW Revolution takes advantage of Microsoft Tags, which are interspersed throughout each chapter. Readers can now unlock additional content with their smart phone. These coded tags are linked to online resources including additional content, illustrations, video, podcasts and materials such as forms, questionnaires, and quizzes.
It is crucial to your company's success to "harness the power of now." Create passionate evangelists to spread the company's message – both internally and externally.
In honor of The NOW Revolution, we will be giving away the book to one lucky reader! Here's what you have to do:
1. Follow Likeable Media on Twitter
2. Like Likeable Media on Facebook
3. Comment on this blog by Monday March 7th at 11:59 pm with an example of how your company has exemplified one of the above key takeaways. Include your Twitter handle so we can DM you if you are a winner.
Winners will be selected at random!
UPDATE [3/14]: Jennifer Starr has been randomly selected to win a copy of the book! Congrats!
Do you think your business practices mirror the listening, responding, and customer service tips discussed in The NOW Revolution? Share your thoughts in the comments and include your Twitter handle to be entered to win a copy of the book!