By Michele Weisman Internet Week New York (IWNY) isn’t just for nerds, geeks and web groupies. The annual weeklong extravaganza kicks off today, featuring conferences, panels, and parties aimed not just at techies, but also at everyday New Yorkers, marketers, politicians, and business owners. The festival, which started in 2008, is part of Mayor Bloomberg’s plan to promote the Big Apple as the nation’s leading digital city. His initiative includes a redesign of NYC’s website with the ultimate goal of using social media to make it easier and faster for New Yorkers to engage with the City government. Although IWNY will be headquartered in Chelsea at the Metropolitan Pavilion and the Altman Building, there will be a number of events throughout the city. Headed to New York City for IWNY? Here are our IWNY top 5 picks:
1. Where Social and Impact Intersect. Today at 1:00 pm, join Huffington Post Media Group Editor-in-Chief Arianna Huffington and Johnson & Johnson VP of Corporate Affairs Brian Perkins as they discuss the intersection of impact and cause-related social marketing.
2. Party with Foursquare at Gracie Mansion! Tonight, (Monday June 6th) Mayor Bloomberg is throwing a party at Gracie Mansion to honor one of the city’s top innovative tech companies, Foursquare. This recognition seems appropriate due to the fact that Foursquare grew out of the New York tech scene. Mayor Bloomberg is an active Foursquare user and is the aspiring ‘Mayor’ of City Hall. Last month, he proclaimed Saturday, April 16th, 2011, the fourth sixteenth of the year, to be Foursquare Day in New York City.
3. Keynote by Nicholas Kristof. On Tuesday June 7th, world renowned New York Times journalist and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Nicholas Kristof, will explore how the Internet and social media have led revolutions and sparked change around the world. The star correspondent has an audience of over 200,000 Facebook fans and 1 million Twitter followers. Kristof has used both Twitter and Facebook to chronicle recent events in Afghanistan, Libya and elsewhere.
4. Celebrate the New York Tech Scene. Now in its third year, The Webutante Ball is the place to check out a good cause during IWNY. In partnership with Solvate and Techies Give Back, 100% of ticket proceeds go directly to The Michael J. Fox Foundation. While garnering national press attention, last year The Webutante Ball was able to raise $26,256 for City Harvest’s ‘Skip Lunch, Fight Hunger’ campaign. Tickets are sold out but HowAboutWe and Solvate are giving some away. Can’t attend? Donate to make a difference!
5. And The Award Goes To. The 15th annual Webby Awards, which celebrate excellence on the Internet, will be hosted by "Friends" star Lisa Kudrow, on Monday June 13th. Stay tuned to watch The Webby Awards LIVE right on its Facebook page! This year’s award winners include TechCrunch, Groupon, Team CoCo, and Foursquare.
Bonus: And Likeable will be at IWNY too!
Join us at #Likeable U! Likeable Media is having its inaugural social media conference on June 8th and June 9th! The event begins at historic landmark The Players Club and will end at the brand new futuristic hotel, Yotel. Speakers include Max Haot, CEO of Livestream, Cary Chessick, CEO of Restaurant.com, and representatives from lots of great brands and social networks including JetBlue, Bizzy, Meetup, Tasti D-Lite, and Wildfire. Meet potential partners, network with representatives from various brands, and hear from the best and the brightest in social media! We have a special surprise in store during Cary Chessick's session! You definitely don't want to miss it! The cost of the conference includes admission, all food and drink, gift bags, and a VIP ticket to Dave's book launch party! If you still need some convincing, feel free to check out these 7 reasons why you should attend. To check out the full agenda and to purchase your ticket, click here. We are certain that this conference will provide everyone with invaluable information and an extraordinary experience.
It’s a party! On Wednesday June 8th, enjoy drinks, hor' derves, and music at Yotel as we celebrate Likeable Media’s CEO Dave Kerpen’s release of his new book, Likeable Social Media. A book launch party ticket includes food, drinks, and an autographed copy of Dave’s book. #Likeable U attendees enter free!
Will you be attending IWNY? What events are you most excited for? Share your thoughts in the comments below!