Back in September, Cara Friedman ran a TweetChat called #LikeableJob to help find great talent. At Likeable Media we are continuing to grow and with our growth comes an opportunity for you to find a Likeable Career. On June 20th, 2012 at 3:00pm, we will be holding our second ever #LikeableJob chat! The purpose will be to give our applicants an opportunity to stand out, show their enthusiasm, and demonstrate our Core Values. Not sure you even know what a Twitter Chat is? Check out some of these resources: http://bit.ly/rmEAaw, http://bit.ly/oDl3fD, & http://bit.ly/n1Uh6B. These are some tips for landing a Likeable Job!
We all know finding a job can be a very difficult process. There are hundreds if not thousands of people applying for the same jobs and it can be difficult to stand out amongst the others. However, here are some tips for landing in the right career either here or somewhere else!
- When you find the right company, learn everything you can about them. Explore their website to figure out the process of applying. Sending off an email to as many addresses as you can find might not be the best idea.
- A cover letter is an opportunity to differentiate yourself. If you expect someone to take the time to read your application, interview, and eventually hire you, it shouldn’t take you three minutes to apply.
- If you are lucky enough to get an interview, do your homework. Learn as much about the position as you can. Do a search on the interviewer on Linkedin or Twitter. You might not need to bring up your mutual love for the Yankees, but it doesn’t hurt to know as much as you can.
- Be prepared with appropriate questions. You surely want to know something about the company if you are willing to commit 40+ hours per week to them!
- Have a variety of questions at your disposal. They should be both about the company and the person interviewing you. People love sharing experiences and stories, so be prepared to ask about that.
- Don’t ask questions that would lead someone to believe you didn’t do your research. Come up with specific questions that suggest you are really interested in more than just a job!
- Make sure you are in a good place to take a call. If you know your cellphone doesn’t work in your home or at the grocery store, find somewhere you know works. If you can be in a place with a landline, that is even better!
- Review the position you are looking to attain. Understand the qualifications and qualities that the employer is looking for.
- Applying for a job that includes using Social Media? Keep your profiles up to date and appropriate. That doesn’t mean you can’t show your personality on Twitter, but be weary of cursing thirty-four times in your last six tweets. Have your Linkedin profile up to date with all relevant information and always be networking!
- Get names right! As much as I love being called Brain, I usually prefer my name!
- Double check your resume and cover letter before sending it off. If you do realize you made a mistake, follow up. Most people will forgive an honest mistake if you own up to it!
- Date: June 20, 2012
- Time: 3:00pm until 4:00pm EST
- Moderator: Brian Murray – @BTMurr - Follow him before!
- Format: Begins at 3:00pm promptly using the hashtag #LikeableJob. Eight questions will be tweeted and you will need to answer them in less than 140 characters.
- Positions: You can find all the relevant positions here: http://bit.ly/LikeableJobs
- Want a reminder and to sign up in advance? Fill out this form: http://bit.ly/LikeableJobSignUp
- Have a question you need answer? Tweet @BTMurr!
Can’t make the chat and still want a Likeable job? You can always apply here: http://bit.ly/LikeableJobs