By Amy Slife With Memorial Day coming and going, and the summer season unofficially underway, we’ve all got summertime activities and vacations on the brain. However, I think most of us don’t want to break the bank with our summer fun. Here we’re sharing five ways to save a few bucks this summer using social media.
- Follow your favorite brands and retailers. Probably the easiest and one of the best ways to find out about upcoming deals, discounts and potential opportunities to enter to win is to follow your favorite brands on Facebook and Twitter. Many brands and retailers often provide fans and followers exclusive insight into upcoming sales, special discount codes for groups or last minute deals. Summer is prime vacation time, and a great travel example is discounted airfare with Jet Blue Cheeps. From clothing retailers, to restaurants and everything in between you’re bound to stumble upon some savings.
- Check-in. The second way to score some special discounts this summer is to check-in. Whether it’s on foursquare or Facebook places, from first-time check-in deals like at H&M to return visit swag for the mayor, if you’re looking to save a few bucks, a check-in is worth your while. If you’re headed to a new city for a vacation this summer, see if the local tourism board is utilizing foursquare. Even if the local municipalities aren't actively participating, there are bound to be locals in the area that are checking in and making recommendations. Save a few dollars and explore the town by hitting the recommended hotspots instead of purchasing a guidebook.
- Search Twitter for keywords. If you don’t want to follow more than your favorite brands and retailers on Twitter, have no fear, there’s an easy way to still stay up to date on their deals by searching Twitter. A quick search for a number of keywords and hashtags like deals, savings, and coupons, can turn up a plethora of great things for even the most frugal spender.
- Deal sites. From Groupon to Living Social to Level Up, there’s something to be said for the current influx of couponing/deal applications. While they can be specific to your location, you can also score great deals on restaurants, excursions and exercise classes for summer shape ups locally or for locations you might be traveling to. And don’t forget, to check out Living Social’s affordable weekend getaways or Rue La La for trip deals from tropical escapes to rustic B&Bs.
- Follow deal bloggers. From tips on saving to touting actual deals, blogs focused on saving money and living on a budget are great resources. Whether you’re looking to score the latest celeb summer styles, but not break the bank, or find the best deals of the day and coupons from well known retailers, deal-focused blogs are great savings aggregators and let someone else do the deal-digging for you!
Will you be looking to save this summer on travel or just the everyday? If so, what other tools, networks or strategies do you recommend? Share your thoughts in the comments below!