by Shari Donk Time to officially pack away all coats, boots, and gloves and break out the swimsuits, sundresses, and flip-flops! Summer is everyone’s favorite time of year and while I am an advocate for taking a break from social media to enjoy the beautiful weather, I also think everyone should use social platforms to enhance their summer experience. And brands should not hesitate to hop on the summer of social fun!
- For you - Instead of the same old mobile uploads, status updates, and switching out a profile picture every weekend, take advantage of some of facebook’s new features this year. Create milestones of summer plans, past and present or upload a new collaged cover photo every month to highlight your favorite moments.
- For brands – New season, new creative. An updated cover photo, profile picture, and tab icons can take your page from winter boring to summer fresh. And make sure to add in some fun summer-themed content for your fans to share.
- For you - Going on vacation and hate to blog? Tweet your experiences! Any story can be told in 140 characters or less. Whether you’re away for a long weekend or on a month long European excursion, Twitter is a great tool to update your network about your summer vacation adventures.
- For brands – Use popular summer hashtags like #summerfridays to engage with your community and beyond.
- For you - Not leaving your hometown at all this summer? No worries. Foursquare will help you explore new restaurants, bars, and not to mention summer sales.
- For brands – Leave tips and specials in all appropriate areas. And don’t forget to add in some surprise & delight!
- For you - Thanks to Pinterest, let the summer of arts and crafts, baking, and working out begin. We’ve all been pinning for months now, it’s time to finally put these pins to good use. Throw a July 4th party using your favorite Pinterest recipes. Go to your cousin’s summer wedding and braid your hair with a style you pinned in January. Or even read the book on the beach you pinned to your “MUST READ” board.
- For brands – Run a summer themed Pinterest contest. Have fans pin their favorite summer related content, such as recipes, to your board and the one with the most re-pins wins a bag of summer swag.
- For you - I am predicting this is the network that will be getting the most activity and engagement. The beach is an instagrammers heaven, and outdoor dinner and cocktails are the perfect opportunity to snag the perfect pic. Also, don't forget to branch out when it comes to filters. We all love early-bird but there are others that can show off your pictures just as well!
- For brands – Show your fun side. Instagram some behind the scenes office shots or post instagram exclusive content to increase followers.
How do you plan on using social media this summer? Share in the comments below!